Its history goes back to Antiquity. At first, a fortress that defended the entrance to the Cotentin marshes in Middle-Ages. The access to the city was possible through the west door coming from Saint-Come and by the east door, coming from Saint-Hilaire. The castle was situated on the actual Place du Valnoble. In 1346, Edward III of England seized the town and ordered the destruction of its fortifications.